An Ark Cattery Caretaker (required minimum age is18 years old) is one of the most important roles within our organization. It goes without saying, an Ark Cattery Caretaker must be a cat-lover and hopefully an experienced cat owner. The Cattery inside the San Juan Capistrano PetSmart serves as our main location where most of our cat adoptions occur. In 2020, the Ark of San Juan rescued and rehomed over 1,000 cats and kittens! Cats in the Cattery are usually awaiting new homes. Most will stay with us less than a month. Occasionally, some find homes the same day they arrive and others may be with us longer. Some of the cats are very outgoing and enjoy coming out of their cages, being petted and stretching their legs. Others are afraid and won’t leave their cage. Your commitment to helping to keep the cats well fed, cared for and The Cattery in overall clean and well stocked condition, is critical to our success and the lives of these precious Ark Angels. So, thank you for your interest in being part of this important team!
CATTERY CARETAKER SHIFTS/SCHEDULE
Each and every day, the Ark cats in the Cattery need to be fed and cared for, twice a day, 365 days a year. There are 2 shifts scheduled for each day: the AM Shift and the PM Shift. The start times for these 2 shifts are somewhat flexible depending on Caretaker’s personal schedule and The Ark’s weekly Adoption Events schedule. The amount of time needed to complete a shift is dependent upon how many cats are currently housed there (12 cats maximum) and the “cooperation” of the individual cats and their individual behaviors on that day. When there are fewer cats, a shift can be completed in as little as an hour, but when there is a full house, a shift can last 2 hours or more.
Since PetSmart opens at 9:00 a.m. daily, the AM Shift can begin as early as 9:00 a.m. but begin no later than 11:00 a.m. The PM Shift can start as early as 4:00 p.m. but begin no later than 7:00 p.m. (or depending on how late PetSmart is open on that particular day of the week. Most days, PetSmart is open until 9:00 p.m.) On days that The Ark has Adoption Events scheduled, Cattery Shift times can be affected:
· On WEDNESDAYS and FRIDAYS there are Adoption Events from 4pm-6pm, therefore the PM Shift can’t start before 6:30 p.m.
· On SATURDAYS our Adoption Event is from 10am-5pm, therefore the AM Saturday Shift needs to be completed before 9:45 a.m. and the PM Saturday Shift can begin anytime after 6:00 p.m.
· On SUNDAYS our Adoption Event is from 11am-5pm, therefore the AM Sunday Shift needs to be completed by10:30 a.m. and the PM Sunday Shift can begin anytime after 5:30 p.m.
REGULAR CATTERY DUTIES
· Feeding each cat separately both dry and canned food
· Making sure each cat has clean water in water dish
· Cleaning out litter box and adding extra clean litter if needed
· Replacing cage towels and pillow coverings if soiled
· Wiping down cage walls with Virex disinfectant if soiled
· Replenish canned cat food, dry cat food, litter if stock is low
· Sweep floor
· Empty trash
· If capable, administer any simple cat medications (for select cats only) that might be needed
· Socialize with cats and brush them if time permits
· Make note of any cats in distress or ill and report to Ark Supervisor immediately
Our fur-babies are depending on our Ark Cattery Caretakers to take good care of them so they can survive and thrive until they find their fur-ever homes!
It's Kitten Season!! We have lots of adorable young Ark Angel kittens and older wonderful cats available to adopt! Come meet them at our Adoption Events held inside the San Juan Capistrano PetSmart in The Cattery. Adoption Events are held 4 days a week:
WEDNESDAYS & FRIDAYS 4pm-6pm
SATURDAYS 10am-5pm, SUNDAYS 11AM-5PM
Save time in advance of adoption event by applying online by
(to dismiss this popup click on the X in the top right corner